History

Opened in 1856 as an orphanage by Bishop Richard Whelan, the first Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston, and the Sisters of St. Joseph, the St. John’s/St. Vincent’s Home for Children has been home to thousands of boys and girls over the past century and a half.

Older than the state of West Virginia, today we are called the St. John’s Home for Children and are located in the Elm Grove area of Wheeling, West Virginia. We are an established licensed residential program that serves boys ages 8 to 14 with behavioral and emotional difficulties or who are the victims of abuse and neglect.

Serving boys from the Northern Panhandle and throughout the state of West Virginia, our wonderful staff continues the Sisters’ legacy of caring for these amazing boys in a loving, homelike environment.

The St. John’s Home for Children is nationally accredited by the Council on Accreditation, signifying that it meets national best practice standards. The St. John’s Home for Children is licensed by the West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources, and funded in part under an agreement with West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources Bureau for Children and families. The St. John’s Home for Children also receives substantial annual financial support from the Roman Catholic Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston. The St. John’s Home for Children is a member of the Wheeling Area Chamber of Commerce, Elm Grove Business Association, and is partners in education with Elm Grove Elementary and Bethany College.